How libpython1.5.so

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin at cnri.reston.va.us
Wed Apr 14 12:47:50 EDT 1999

Nick Belshaw writes:
>Whilst trying to get Python plugins to work on Gnumeric-0.23 I bumped up
>against the need for libpython1.5.so.0.0.0

	Python doesn't build a .so file, so I think the Gnumeric
people must have hacked Python to build one; you may want to check
with them and see if they have build instructions or an RPM available.
Alternatively, you can make a shareable libpython by setting the
CFLAGS environment variable to "-fPIC" before running ./configure and
compiling Python.  Then, turn libpython.a into libpython.so with "gcc
-shared -o libpython.so libpython.a" (the exact command may require
some tweaking), and copy libpython.so to wherever you like.

I think he expected me to agree enthusiastically, but I didn't. Nor did I
contradict him; I have had too much experience of life to attempt to tell a
really rich person anything.
    -- Robertson Davies, _The Rebel Angels_