Python without registry entries

Mark Hammond MHammond at skippinet.com.au
Sat Apr 10 18:57:49 EDT 1999

Paul Moore wrote in message <370fb711.28093946 at news.demon.co.uk>...

>However, it would be nice to be able to run Python, at some level,
>without *any* configuration changes (registry entries, environment
>variables) at all. (Perl runs fine from a CD binary distribution, with
>no registry settings). Can I do this? If so, what (if any) changes are
>needed to the basic installed distribution?

You can.  Python does not _need_ the registry for anything.  Python can
build a default sys.path when it starts, so assuming your .py files are in a
"standard" place (eg, a .\lib directory off you executable) no additional
paths are needed.

pywintypes and pythoncom do need special treatment without the registry.  If
you do a dejanews search, I posted some code that can load these 2 modules
without the registry.

Further, you can change a string in your compiled python15.dll, and you can
ensure that it will not conflict with other versions of Python the user may
already have...

Ive packaged Python like this a number of times.

Easiest way to go: Rename your Python registry key, then start Python.exe
and print sys.path.  Then work from that :-)
Mark.