Long integers getting short shrift?

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan at callware.com
Tue Apr 27 17:42:29 EDT 1999

Hi All--

Charles G Waldman wrote:

> The functions Py_BuildValue and PyArg_ParseTuple don't seem to be
> listed in the index of the Python/C API documentation.  They are only
> described in the Embedding and Extending docs.
>
> The "L" format code for Long integers is not described anywhere,
> AFAICT.  I discovered it by reading source.
>
> It seems that if you are on a system without the "long long" type then
> the "L" format char is not available.

????  I have Python running on my UnixWare system at home, and the long
types are easily accessible.  Python's been running on it since 1.3, and
UnixWare has no long long type.  Long doubles, but no long long.  (By
the way, the UnixWare system is going to die on 10 May, when Redhat 6.0
with 2.2 kernel and SMP out of the box appears in the stores.)

Now, possibly this is a difference between the running interpreter and
the functions available for building extensions, but if so, why the
difference?

<always-in-search-of-enlightenment>-ly y'rs,
Ivan
Ivan Van Laningham
Callware Technologies, Inc.
ivanlan at callware.com
http://www.pauahtun.org
See also:
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70