Dealing with faults matters (was: Is Python dying?)

Cameron Laird claird at Starbase.NeoSoft.COM
Fri Apr 2 16:56:58 EST 1999

In article <3706f449.12085377 at news.cybercity.dk>,
Morten Christensen <mmc at vip.cybercity.dk> wrote:
>On 31 Mar 1999 06:01:03 -0600, claird at Starbase.NeoSoft.COM (Cameron
>Laird) wrote:
>>*I* certainly discuss it.  Anyone who understands
>>that exception-handling is important I invite to
>>realize that exception-handling on the sociologi-
>>cal-organizational dimension has an even bigger
>>multiplier.
>>
>>This is a plank of my "Visual C considered profes-
>>sional malpractice" campaign.
>
>???
>
>...I understand exception handling and regard it as very important,
>although the (Visual) C++ implementation is really awful (as everyone
>who have experienced "unexplainable" Visual C++ exceptions of unknown
>origin and type knows ).... I also know a lot about how exception
>handling is actually implemented in modern OO languages such as C++
>(this was the subject I wrote my master thesis on)....
>
>HOWEVER, I have NO clue about what you mean by exception-handling as a
>multiplier on the sociological-organization dimension :-) I would like
>to find out. Can you explain?
			.
			.
			.
Happily.

Excuse my giddiness, please; I see that that
last message *did* wander too far into the
land of obscurity.

Here's what I was saying:  exception-handling
is important.  Programs that intelligently
use exception-handling mechanisms are better
programs.

Exception-handling is even more important to
people.  People and organizations that deal
with exceptions intelligently, and don't pre-
tend that everything should be without fault,
are better people and organizations.

In fact, a correct computer program often
has over half its lines devoted to accomo-
dating error.  A wise person will have good
ways to respond to criticism/problems/diffi-
culties/...; dealing with success is
relatively easier.
--

Cameron Laird           http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/home.html
claird at NeoSoft.com      +1 281 996 8546 FAX