Why no "=" in if? (was Re: Quick fix to add "+=")

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Sat Apr 17 13:08:41 EDT 1999

> can't-wait-for-a-resumption-of-the-assignment-expression-thread<wink>-ly
> y'rs  - tim

[Aahz Maruch]
> I'm getting really sick of the way I have to use this stupid construct:
>
> x = foo()
> if x:
>
> instead of
>
> if x = foo():
>
> Why doesn't Guido get off his duff and fix this?????????!

[John Baxter]
> Because it's not broken.

[Aahz]
> Yes, it is.

Excellent!  We've now summarized in just 3 brief messages just about
everything that was said over the course of (literally) hundreds of msgs the
last time this came up <0.1 wink>.

If anyone wants to continue this now, consider just posting a link to the
DejaNews article you would have otherwise rewritten.

can't-wait-for-the-resumption-of-the-indexing-thread<wink>-ly y'rs  - tim