'import exceptions' failed

Randall Hopper aa8vb at vislab.epa.gov
Mon Apr 19 10:24:06 EDT 1999

Jussi Jumppanen:
 |I have compiled the python source into a Windows DLL and using
 |the macro runs fine and produces the expected ouput in the
 |text editor, but I also get the following messages sent to
 |stderr:
 |
 | 'import exceptions' failed; use -v for traceback
 | defaulting to old style exceptions
 | 'import site' failed; use -v for traceback

I don't know if your case is the same, but when I saw this, I discovered
that if $PYTHONPATH (normally used to augment Python's run-time module
search path) is defined when Python is built.  This completely overrides
the default Python search path which it uses to find its own modules.

As I recall, "import exceptions" was the first thing it complained about.
I think site was the second but I'm not certain.

Randall