Why do we call python a scripting language?

Someone someone at someplace.com
Fri Aug 27 20:19:49 EDT 1999

On 27 Aug 1999 12:59:18 GMT, fredp at multimania.com.nospam (Fred
Pacquier) wrote:

>for the profane. The one app that 'did it' for me, curiously, is PySol.
>It's a game, but a game engine, and a powerful one. And it shuffles around
>a lot of graphics (pun intended), which may surprise people biased by the
>'scripting language' tag.

This brings me to a new point.  since I first used python, I've been
wondering about distribution of my final products.  In general, i dont
want to distribute a full python distribution and all my source, as
much from not wanting to burden the user with this task as for
protecting my source.  I've played with freeze, but since I never
really had anything to distribute, I've never really used it for
anything except play things.  But from what I remember, there is
nothing preventing a person from putting into a small package
everything needed to distribute an app.

But what I find most interesting is that I havent seen much evidence
that any one uses it.  Is any one using freeze or some derivative or
work alike?  Most things I find are written for users of python, and
are just distributed as source.

>Yet another selling point might be if IDLE or PythonWin or some other seed
>came to evolve into a full-blown IDE up to par with Microsoft's or
>Borland's, that might impress the developer population. After all, VC++ is
>done in MFC/C++ and Delphi in ObjectPascal, right ? But I seem to recall
>this was all discussed to death some months ago... :-)

I'm very impressed with what I am seeing on the python win 2 beta
site.  its very impressive!

-guy