[Python] Can't use crypt on SuSE 6.0

Michael Hudson mwh21 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Aug 25 07:35:12 EDT 1999

Oops, I meant to follow up to your follow up to my follow up to your
original post... but I never got round to it.

"Kieran O' Sullivan" <kosullivan at snet.wit.ie> writes:
> When I tyr to compile python 1.5.2 on SuSE Linux 6.0 with the crypt module
> I get the following error.
>
> make[1]: Entering directory `/Python-1.5.2/Modules'
> gcc  -Xlinker -export-dynamic python.o \
>           ../libpython1.5.a   -lieee -ldl  -lm  -o python
> ../libpython1.5.a(cryptmodule.o): In function `crypt_crypt':
> /Python-1.5.2/Modules/./cryptmodule.c:21: undefined reference to `crypt'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[1]: *** [link] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/Python-1.5.2/Modules'
> make: *** [python] Error 2
>
> I have compiled python 1.5.2 with crypt on SuSE 5.2 with no problems.
> There was a previous copy of python 1.5.1 on the SuSE 6.0 machine but
> python 1.5.2 cpmpiles without any problem when crypt is not included.

That'll be a libc5 vs. libc6 issue, I'd warrant. This is not mysterious.

> When I use -lcrypt option in the Setup file python will compile but I
> can't use the crypt function.
>
> When I try I get ImportError: no module named crypt

*This* is the odd bit. Are you sure you're executing the right Python?
I've done things like this to myself where I compile & install a
package in /usr/local and then carry on getting the version that's
installed in /usr...

> I have tried the following command with crypt inabled:
>
>   strace -o /tmp/foo -f make install
>
> but the file that this produced is not a lot of help.

I'm curious - how did you expect that to help?

More productive might be the output of

python -vc 'import crypt'

and

python -c 'import sys; print sys.builtin_module_names'

the-link-error-is-not-the-problem-ly y'rs - Michael