More random python observations from a perl programmer

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at compaq.com
Mon Aug 23 17:08:52 EDT 1999

Evan Simpson wrote:

> A syntax for expressing explicit tuple
> unpacking has been proposed (fn(*t)), and it remains to be seen whether it
> will enter the language.

I'm working on an implementation of that, by the
way, so it may be possible for people to try it
out soon.

> There are no compound
> assignment operators since there are no assignment operators, period.

I don't think it's helpful to jump on that particular
terminological detail. The people who ask "why is there
no += operator" aren't using the word "operator" in its
precise technical Python sense.

> It's what you would expect if you assume floating point arithmetic at all
> times.  If you're operating on integers, it's quite wrong.  Explicitness
> wins, in Python.

I'd say quite the opposite - this is a rare case in
Python where IMplicitness loses! If the distinction
between integer and floating point division were
made explicit, by having different operators for
them, this would cause much less grief.

Greg