Python speed and `pcre'

Skip Montanaro skip at mojam.com
Tue Aug 31 16:58:33 CEST 1999

    François> Hi, people.  Still learning and experimenting with Python. :-)
    François> After having translated some code (not big, but not small)
    François> from Perl to Python, I discover it runs ten times slower.  I
    François> did not learn to profile yet, and I am not sure it would help,
    François> after having read that profiling gives call counts, but no
    François> elapsed time.  Is that right?

François,

Can't help much with your regexp woes, but you might look at my trace module
for timing help with your application.  Get it from

    http://www.musi-cal.com/~skip/python/

(which may or may not work immediately due to some DNS propagation delays as
www.musi-cal.com morphs virtual from upstate New York to California).

Skip Montanaro | http://www.mojam.com/
skip at mojam.com | http://www.musi-cal.com/~skip/
847-971-7098   | Python: Programming the way Guido indented...