Uglliness scale: Python <<< awk << p*** < SNOBOL4

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Mon Aug 16 16:51:57 EDT 1999

On 14 Aug 99, at 19:12, Robin Becker wrote:

> I once described perl as being like awk on
> steroids and lsd

Actually perl is more like SNOBOL4 on sedatives.

There is nothing new under the sun. SNOBOL4, which was up to version 3
by 1969, had goodies like arrays (like Python lists, but with multiple
dimensions that were fixed when the array was created), tables (like
Python dictionaries), user-defined functions, user-defined data-types
(about the same functionality as C's struct), built-in pattern
matching, operator over-riding, extensibility through "external
functions" written in FORTRAN or assembly language, automatic garbage
collection, ...
It even had the ability to assign the result of a partial pattern match
to a variable ... about 30 years later, Python got this in the re
module's ?P<name> feature, and AFAIK perl doesn't have this even yet.

However SNOBOL4 also had the ugliest syntax that I've ever seen in a
language that was genuinely intended for serious work -- Intercal is
far uglier but is a parody.

For example [1]
	FLIP = LEN(*I) . HEAD LEN(1) $ X LEN(1) $ Y *LGT(X,Y)
	I = LT(I,LIMIT) I + 1 :S(LOOP)

That last line has this effect, expressed in C:
	if (i < limit) { i++; goto loop; }

Another "feature" was indirection.
	FOO = 'BAR'
	$FOO = 'ZOT'
gives the same result as
	BAR = ZOT
"The statement
	$INPUT = X
is an extreme example in which a string is read in and used as a
variable" [2]

awk, which started out in 1977, has no arrays, no structs, and didn't
get user-defined functions till 1985 [4]. Interestingly, both SNOBOL4
and awk came from the one source: Bell Labs.

By the way, SNOBOL4's arrays had the same (documented) trap-for-young-
players as Python's:

"Each element of an array is given the same initial value.
Consequently, execution of the instructions
	A1 = ARRAY(5)
	A2 = ARRAY(5, A1)
creates only two arrays. Each element of A2 has the same array, A1, as
value" . [3]

In Python, using a size of 3 instead of 5 so's it'll fit on a line:
>>> a1 = [''] * 3
>>> a2 = [a1] * 3
>>> a1, a2
>>> a2[0][0] = 'x'