Python tkinter with Tcl/Tk 8.1?

Orlando Vazquez ovazquez at sprint.ca
Thu Aug 12 02:12:34 EDT 1999

foo wrote:

> I could not find any documentation on this in the FAQ or the tkinter pages,
> so I am asking here. I have had to move to Tcl/Tk 8.1 for another software
> package I am using on my computer. I have rebuilt Python 1.5.2 after getting
> the new Tcl/Tk installed and (no great surprise) tkinter does not seem to
> work (I can successfully import Tkinter from the python command line, but
> attempting to run Tkinter._test() crashes python due to access violations
> (reading wild pointers).
>
> Is it possible to build the tkinter module successfully with Tcl/Tk 8.1?
>
> Thanks,
> Jonathan

Thats interesting. I've also had problems with tcl/tk 8.1. trying to
load
any tcl/tk apps results in errors. for example:

scratchy:/usr/local/src/Python-1.5.2/Demo/tkinter/guido$ python hello.py
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "hello.py", line 17, in ?
    main()
  File "hello.py", line 7, in main
    root = Tk()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python1.5/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 886, in
__init__
    self.tk = _tkinter.create(screenName, baseName, className)
TclError: Can't find a usable init.tcl in the following directories:

This probably means that Tcl wasn't installed properly.

scratchy:/usr/local/src/Python-1.5.2/Demo/tkinter/guido$

I'm not an X person, most of the time I'm in the console, but i'm the
kind
of guy that likes to have everything working even if i dont need it. :-)
anyone know that the heck is going on?