UML

ScherBi at BAM.com ScherBi at BAM.com
Tue Aug 17 13:17:30 EDT 1999

I use UML, via ObjectDomain (www.objectdomain.com).
I am involved in developing web based applications for our intranet.
I find it extremely useful for most anything larger than a quick hack.

Where I find it most useful:

 - Use Case diagrams are great for capturing requirments.
 - UML allows one to work on 'the big picture', without worrying much about
the details, then later you can work on individual details without worrying
about the big picture. In other words, create classes and class diagrams in
UML, design the class interfaces, and play around with the design at this
level.  When you think you have it right, generate the stub code and fill in
the methods.  You can fill in the methods without getting caught up in the
interface issues, which makes things much easier.

You can download a 30 day demo from objectdomain.  To help learn UML, I
recommend getting a python module (that has a class hierarchy in it, like
SocketServer.py) where you understand the hierarchy and the operations, then
reverse engineer it into objectdomain.  You can then automatically generate
a class diagram.

And no, I don't work for ObjectDomain.  It's the only UML tool I know of the
generates and reverse engineers Python.  OD is written in Java.  I don't
like that feature of it much, but once I get over the problems inherint in
that, I think it's a fine tool.

It's rumored that third parties develop language modules for Rational Rose,
others may know more about this.

Bill Scherer