Why use Perl when we've got Python?!

Robin Becker robin at jessikat.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 27 14:10:38 EDT 1999

In article <MPG.122fcf84a811c6099896e8 at news.melbpc.org.au>, Factory
<faqtori at hotmail.com> writes
>In article <7putsq$3ql$1 at lycaeus.calstatela.edu>, ramune at bigfoot.com
>says...
>> In article <slrn7s2lb3.k6b.abigail at alexandra.delanet.com>,
>> Abigail <abigail at delanet.com> wrote:
>> [snip amusing rant]
>> >Yeah, those math texts from the 16th and 17th century, they are sooooo easy
>> >to read, because they lack all the symbols. Not to mention the original
>> >Euclid and those other Greeks, who had no symbols at all!
>>
>> <GRIN>
>> Oh, but they're written with only symbols!  All those confusing greek symbols
>> that mathematicians use are the basic building blocks for the language!  Why
>> didn't they just use English?
>> </GRIN>
>
>  Hmm that might be a bit off, the anchient Greeks had no concept of
>variables, thus you would never see f(x)= 2y in any old greek
>mathematics. IIRC variables were discovered(?) by Al-Jabar sometime
>after.
>  Thus the Greeks certainly did not use symbols, and it held back
>mathematics. Not that this applies to python vs. perl.
C:\Python\Installs>python shaney.py \tmp\junk.txt
Anyway, I'll post this with my comments as I originally started to enter
them.
Great work.
In geek religion wars, there are two types of people.
One of them as a way to increase your understanding.
(Of course, while the abstract material in CS can come in handy, if
they're taught wrong, what's the point?) There's quite a bit slow on the
uptake.
I should have read all the way through.
And I looked at your web site.
I must admit you write great parody.