Wacky Programming Tales (Was Re: Why use Perl when we've got Python?!)

Matthew O. Persico mpersico at erols.com
Sun Aug 15 15:22:02 EDT 1999

I once had to take over a MAJOR project from a consultant who was leaving.
This happened one week before my honeymoon. How major? Well it wrote and
sent settlement information for about 10-20% of the daily volume of equity
transactions in the entire United States.

Anyway, it took about six months of re-programming to evolve this morASS
(emphaisis mine) of code into something that behaved in a deterministic
fashion. As I hacked way at the underbrush, I kept coming upon all sorts of
references to a function called ocrap().  Eventually, I found the source
for the function (instead of just linking in the existing library) and
discovered it went something like this:

int ocrap(char *s) {

	printf("Oh crap, what am I doing here: %s\n",s);
	exit (5);
}