A question of style

Roy Smith roy at popmail.med.nyu.edu
Tue Aug 3 15:45:58 EDT 1999

I'm using BaseHTTPServer.  I need to maintain a long-lived database
connection (using oracledb), and the only persistant object is my server,
so the db connection is stored there.

I've got a class for each type of page that gets displayed, with widgets
on each page that need to access the database.  Thus, I end up with stuff
like:

self.page.handler.server.db.cursor()

inside my widget class methods.  This works, but it's kind of messy.  I'm
thinking of giving my base widget class a cursor method, which looks like:

def cursor(self):
   return self.page.handler.server.db.cursor()

and then I can just do self.cursor() inside my widgets.

I can't think of any particularly compelling technical reasons why that's
a good or bad thing.  Seems more like a matter of style than anything
else.  Comments?

--
Roy Smith <roy at popmail.med.nyu.edu>
New York University School of Medicine