International characters and Python's string functions on Linux

Alexander Staubo earlybird at mop.no
Thu Aug 5 09:37:13 EDT 1999

I'm running Python on Slackware Linux, and it does not seem to provide a
full international character set in the string.uppercase and
string.lowercase constants: only A-Z, which isn't enough.

Having studied the string module code a bit, I realize that Python is at
the mercy of the C API and its string/locale functions, so I'm thinking I
must probably configure Linux for a specific locale. Right? If so, how?

--
Alexander Staubo             http://www.mop.no/~alex/
"It has taken the planet Earth 4.5 billion years to discover it is