International characters and Python's string functions on Linux

Alexander Staubo earlybird at mop.no
Fri Aug 6 22:28:35 EDT 1999

In article <Pine.LNX.4.04.9908061223110.24989-
100000 at emerald.netskate.ru>, phd at emerald.netskate.ru says...
> On Thu, 5 Aug 1999, John (Max) Skaller wrote:
> > 	Wrong. Python doesn't use C locale functions.
>
>    What about
>
> import locale
> locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL, "")
>
>    ? With this, python supports locale without any problem.

Good idea, but:

Python 1.5.2 (#9, Jul  2 1999, 04:33:02)  [GCC 2.8.1] on linux2
>>> import locale
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/usr/local/lib/python1.5/locale.py", line 4, in ?
    from _locale import *
ImportError: No module named _locale

This is Slackware Linux 2.2/libc6. Should I configure Python with some
kind of magic parameter for the locale stuff to work?

> > UTF-8 is,
> > in my opinion, the best option in Python today, since it
>
>    I don't think so. UNICODE/UTF8 have not only advatntages, but some
> drawbacks too...

In general, UNICODE is great -- at least if we ignore the fact that it
doubles memory consumption, and in 99% of all cases with no particular
benefit to the application or the user.

But in the context of Zope, which is where I need the international
support right now, it's useless -- I doubt Zope can be easily tweaked to
use UNICODE what with all the string stuff in C assuming 8-bit character
sets.

Anyway, Latin 1 is perfectly capable of containing the characters I need,
so all this is academic -- I just need to expand the range of the
uppercase/lowercase constants, cleanly. The documentation warns against
modifying these directly. Unless somebody tells me this is safe, I want
to avoid it.

--
Alexander Staubo             http://www.mop.no/~alex/
"Elvis skipped around the car and threw open the trunk.