Scripting Language

Christopher Browne cbbrowne at news.hex.net
Mon Aug 30 22:18:06 EDT 1999

On 30 Aug 1999 10:04:44 +0200, Stephan Houben
<stephan at pcrm.win.tue.nl> wrote:
>"Jacques Oosthuizen" <jacques at integra.co.za> writes:
>
>>We are looking at a multiplatform scripting language. So far python
>>looks the best , any comments.
>
>Well, it satisfies the whole list of requirements you posted. ;-)
>(But then again, so does INTERCAL.)
>
>Seriously, without some more context, this question is meaningless.
>
>P.S. Is Turing-completeness perhaps of any importance?

<asbestos>
Python isn't Turing-complete, right?
</asbestos>

Python seems pretty good in many ways; without more precise
specifications of requirements, it is indeed difficult to assess the
preferability of any given language.

- Python appears pretty easy to embed, as well as easy to embed C code
  into.

- Perl is probably more popular, and has vast libraries of "modules,"
  possibly more than are available for Python, but the schemes for
  embedding compiled code into Perl and vice-versa seem somewhat more
  "daunting."

- TCL was designed with inter-embeddability in mind, so it might be a
  not-outrageous choice.

- There are Scheme implementations designed with embedding in mind too.
--
I have stopped reading Stephen King novels.  Now I just read C code
instead.