But Sir, It's Wafer Thin!!!

Robert Kern kernr at mail.ncifcrf.gov
Mon Aug 30 01:56:27 EDT 1999

On Mon, 30 Aug 1999 01:18:23 -0400, David Oppenheimer
<davidopp at megsinet.net> wrote:

>I only have a small question.  In fact you might say its wafer thin.
>
>Q: What path declarations do I need to place into my autoexec.bat file
>so that my computer will be able to run Python Scripts?

[snip TCL stuff]

>I used the find command to
>locate both of these dll's and they are here C:\TclPlug\2.0\bin

Only there?

>I didn't do anything weird when installing Python on my Win98 machine.
>Chose the 1.5.2 install downloaded and installed it (I am under the
>understanding that this includes all needed Tcl software for Tkinter).

Did you let the TCL/TK installer run?  If so, you should have another
directory with the TCL DLLs.  That directory should probable be used
rather than the TclPlug directory.

>I also installed the additional 3MB win32 all.
>Python and Pythonwin are located here C:\Program Files\Python\Pythonwin

Where is "python.exe"?  In "C:\Program Files\Python" or
"C:\Program Files\Python\Pythonwin"?  I'll assume the first for my
statements below.

>Do I need just one path declaration or multiple path declarations and
>how would they look?

You should have a pre-existing line looking this:

set PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;...

If not, just ignore it for now.  Perhaps someone more esoteric Windows
knowledge than I could comment (Tim?).

You should then have a second line that looks like this:

set PATH=%PATH%;C:\PROGRA~1\PYTHON;C:\TCL\BIN

C:\TCL\BIN should be whatever path that tcl80.dll and tk80.dll (from
the Python-provided installer) are in.

You might encounter problems if another TCL path is in the PATH
variable (say, if the TclPlug installation altered your PATH).  Then,
you should move the "C:\TCL\BIN" before "%PATH%".

>My only other experience with this kind of stuff
>was with setting up a pathway for a compiler and it was well documented
>that my path declaration for the Mingw32 compiler should look just like
>this....   PATH=c:\mingw32\bin;

The proper way to do that is

set PATH=%PATH%;c:\mingw32\bin

IIRC, "PATH=c:\mingw32\bin" will work the same way, but it is not
guaranteed to.

>Please help...I need to get over this little bump in the road and then I
>will be on my way to complete mastery of this language...lol  Just a
>little help...wafer thin...just point me in the right direction...tell
>me I failed to adequately search the docs...anything...except don't send
>the Spanish Inquisition.

HTH.

>David O.

Robert Kern           |
----------------------|"In the fields of Hell where the grass grows high
This space            | Are the graves of dreams allowed to die."
intentionally         |           - Richard Harter
left blank.           |