Why use Python when we've got Perl?

Miles Egan milese at pacbell.net
Sat Aug 14 03:08:47 EDT 1999

> Of course YMMV. This is up to you. But I would suggest learning at least
> one FP language is one of the best things a programmer can do. Possibly
> there are other suprises around maybe Prolog would be another good idea?

This is excellent advice.  Even if you never write a line of production
code in Scheme or ML, studying these languages can be very
enlightening.  Python and Perl are more alike than different in the
grander family of programming languages.  I particularly recommend "The
Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs" by Abelson and
Sussman.  I'm still blown away by the simplicity of their implementation
of a Scheme evaluator.

miles