Compound Assignment Operators ( +=, *=, etc...)

Magnus L. Hetland mlh at idt.ntnu.no
Sat Aug 14 18:28:51 EDT 1999

Tom Christiansen <tchrist at mox.perl.com> writes:

> As to why there's no x++ there, consider how often people from a
> Pascal(ish) background are confused between x+1 and x++ and ++x, and
> you'll begin to see what kind of problems caused it to be vetoed.

Hm. I would have thought that the reason for this is more that x++ is,
in fact, an expression, an allowing this would amount to allowing a
special case of assignment expressions... Or?

--

  Magnus              Making no sound / Yet smouldering with passion
  Lie          The firefly is still sadder / Than the moaning insect