More random python observations from a perl programmer

Moritz Moeller-Herrmann moritz at news.uni-mannheim.de
Fri Aug 20 13:30:12 EDT 1999

On 20 Aug 1999 06:07:09 -0700, Tom Christiansen <tchrist at mox.perl.com> wrote:
>     [courtesy cc of this posting mailed to cited author]

>In comp.lang.python,
>    Florian Weimer <fw at s.netic.de> writes:
>:Manpages are most useful for languages which do not support namespaces
>:(so you can hit `K' or `M-x man RET RET', and you get the right page).
>:Perl fits into this more than Python (which heavily uses methods on
>:builtin objects).  Unfortunately, `man exists' (or `perldoc exists')
>:doesn't work with my Perl installation either,

>I really hate that.  You're right about perlfunc being insanely long.
>I've always argued against it, and there's a script in the distribution
>kid that *will* create things like /usr/local/perl/man/man3/exists.3,
>but I haven't managed to get my lobbying power worked up enough to push
>through to make that the default.

Maybe you will like a better info file viewer? Have a look at  Przemek Borys'
<pborys at dione.ids.pl> pinfo, a much better replacement for the official gnu
info viewer.  It will also read manpages and display them. Freshmeat has the
URL.

And I hate Emacs :-)

Just noted that you ought to love this guy's email address...

--
Moritz Moeller-Herrmann mmh at gmx.net ICQ# 3585990        # Not only
Get my public pgp / gpg key from                        # Open Source(TM)