GRiNS 1.0 (Multimedia authoring software in Python) available

Jack Jansen jack at oratrix.nl
Tue Aug 31 11:32:11 EDT 1999

[Warning: This message could be seen as being commercial]

Folks,
we proudly announce the first commercial release of GRiNS, our multimedia
authoring and playback system for the internet. It allows you to create SMIL
presentations (SMIL is the W3C standard for multimedia over the net, and used
by applications such as RealNetworks G2 player), and completely written in
Python. Well, completely: there's a few extension modules involved to make
various media rendering toolkits available, but the whole application
framework is in Python (And most of the extension modules have found their way
back into the Python community, or will do so shortly, of course).

Thanks to Python we're able to release GRiNS for all three major platforms at
the same time: Macintosh, Windows and Unix (SGI and Sun; sorry, no Linux yet,
due to the fact that we don't know of any decent media libraries (esp. movie
libraries), so please enlighten us if you know of something).

If you want to have a look at what a Python multiplatform application can look
like check it out at http://www.oratrix.com/GRiNS . And feel free to ask us,
Sjoerd Mullender (sjoerd at oratrix.com) or me, if you want to know anything
about technical details (or commercial details, which we will duly forward:-).

Oh yes: if anyone has good suggestions for places they always use for being
kept informed about new software (i.e. who we should inform about this
release) we'd be happy if you could share them with us.

Here's the press release, for completeness sake:
Oratrix Development BV

http://www.oratrix.com/

GRiNS for SMIL WILL TRANSFORM MULTIMEDIA WEB AUTHORING

Amsterdam, The Netherlands (August 30, 1999) - Oratrix Development BV today
announced the release of GRiNS for SMIL V1.0, a unique authoring and
presentation
system for local and streaming media on the Web.

GRiNS/SMIL allows content providers to create adaptive multimedia productions
that
tailor content to the needs and resources of the user community. Working
together with
RealNetworks®’ RealSystem® G2, GRiNS provides access to the full capabilities
of the SMIL
language on Windows, Macintosh and UNIX systems. Users on all these platforms
can
finally design multimedia presentations with adaptive content.

According to Dick Bulterman, founder and managing director of Oratrix
Development,
"GRiNS/SMIL will transform Web multimedia from a one-size-fits-all paradigm to
one in
which the needs, resources and capabilities of individual users can determine
the quality
and content provided inside a streaming media presentation."

Presentations can be made that not only adjust for bandwidth constraints, but
also for
language (for example, English and Spanish), or media type (text, image or
video).

"GRiNS/SMIL fills a critical gap in the authoring market," adds Bulterman. "We
greatly
simplify the process of creating SMIL presentations for the RealNetworks
RealPlayer® G2 at
an affordable price." Bulterman, described by UK's Internet Magazine as one of
the Web's
10 behind-the-sceens heroes, says that the system's ability to create adaptive
presentations will open up new value-added markets by allowing authors to
tailor their
content to the needs and resources of their clients.

Commenting on the release, Len Jordan, senior vice-president, Media Systems,
RealNetworks, Inc. said: "GRiNS provides an intuitive and easy complement to
Realslideshow(TM) for users who want to exploit multiple media types and
capabilities of both SMIL and RealSystem G2." Geoff Freed of CPB/WGBH National
Center
for Accessible Media added: "The ability of GRiNS/SMIL to provide control of
adaptive
content for both streaming media and the local GRiNS player will significantly
lower the
barrier for creating presentations that are accessible to the widest possible
range of Web
users."  Ivar Brinkman of Elsevier Science Publishers noted: "The fact that
GRiNS is available
for Macintosh and UNIX as well as Windows-98/NT allows Elsevier to work with
all of our
authors in evaluating new approaches to showcase and enhance our printed
publications."

GRiNS/SMIL was developed by Oratrix Development BV, an Amsterdam-based
spin-off of
CWI, the Dutch national center for mathematics and computer science. Oratrix
Development is winner of the McKinsey & Co. "New Venture" award and has been
selected by the Twinning Venture Capital Network in the Netherlands.
GRiNS/SMIL has
been tested by over two thousand users world-wide in beta form.

GRiNS/SMIL is available at http://www.oratrix.com/GRiNS/.

For more information contact Manja Strick van Linschoten at Oratrix
Development:
Email: 	Manja.Strickvl at oratrix.com
TEL: 	+31 20 679 5306
FAX: 	+31 20 679 5309