Who "uninvented" brace delimiting? (Was Re: Be gentle with me....)

Patrick Phalen python-list at teleo.net
Fri Dec 3 16:28:24 EST 1999

[François Pinard, on Fri, 03 Dec 1999]

:: So, of course, when I saw that Guido was pushing *my* idea so far to consider
:: the braces themselves as more noisy than informative, while retaining the
:: main underlying principle, I liked Python instantly, and I surely found
:: that Guido was a very clever guy! :-)

Seems like an appropriate time to trot out this chestnut again
(courtesy of Andrew Kuchling's Python Quotations Web page):

"We will perhaps eventually be writing only small modules which are
identified by name as they are used to build larger ones, so that
devices like indentation, rather than delimiters, might become feasible
for expressing local structure in the source language."

Donald E. Knuth, "Structured Programming with goto Statements",
Computing Surveys, Vol 6 No 4, Dec. 1974