Python suitability

Darrell darrell at dorb.com
Mon Dec 27 14:06:00 EST 1999

John Skaller wrote:

> I think Python scores well when it comes to making
> small utilities, but it begins to fall apart for larger systems.
>
> Let me predict, for example, that Zope will become
> almost unworkable soon: Python just cannot hack such a large
> beast. C++ on the other hand, makes getting started
> much harder, but it then scales better.

The large scale idioms for C++ are well known. I'd love to read  "Large
Scale Python Software Design", when someone writes it.

Component interfaces like COM or CORBA make big stuff work and Zope offers
some such.  Although I wonder if they have too many good ideas in one place.

Even with the interpreter lock and no types, how much more scalable is C++
anyway ? Especially if someone would wrote the book for Python :)

--Darrell