Help setting up NumTut

Nathaniel Gray n8grayCUTHERE at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 10 12:52:44 EST 1999

Hi everybody,

I'm using Python 1.5.2 on WinNT.  I'm trying to run the Numeric Python
Tutorial (NumTut) but whenever I try to import it I get this:

>>> from NumTut import *
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "<pyshell#0>", line 1, in ?
    from NumTut import *
  File "C:\Program Files\Python\Lib\NumTut\__init__.py", line 14, in ?
    greece = pickle.load(open(os.path.join(_dir, 'greece.pik'), 'rb')) /
256.0
  File "C:\Program Files\Python\Lib\pickle.py", line 826, in load
    return Unpickler(file).load()
  File "C:\Program Files\Python\Lib\pickle.py", line 495, in load
    dispatch[key](self)
  File "C:\Program Files\Python\Lib\pickle.py", line 659, in load_global
    klass = self.find_class(module, name)
  File "C:\Program Files\Python\Lib\pickle.py", line 669, in find_class
    raise SystemError, \
SystemError: Failed to import class array_constructor
 from module Numeric

I have the Numerical Library installed at:
C:\Program Files\Python\LLNLDistribution\Numerical
and I have no trouble with the command 'from Numeric import *'
Does anybody have any suggestions?

Another curiosity -- I tried moving the NumTut subdirectory from
Python\Lib
to Python\LLNLDistribution\Numerical\Lib and when I tried the command
again it failed with _exactly_ the same message, including the line:
  File "C:\Program Files\Python\Lib\NumTut\__init__.py", line 14, in ?
This seems crazy, since NumTut wasn't even in that directory.

If you can help please mail me, but remove the capital letters from my
username before you hit send.  Thanks a lot!
--
Nathaniel A. Gray