Exposing COM via XML-RPC or Something Else

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at alpha1.csd.uwm.edu
Wed Dec 1 15:42:32 EST 1999

On 1 Dec 1999 18:27:33 GMT, William Tanksley <wtanksle at hawking.armored.net> wrote:
.On Wed, 1 Dec 1999 09:41:21 -0500 , Brian Lloyd wrote:
.
.>> At any rate, SOAP provides a Simple Object Access Protocol.
.>> Just what you
.>> need.  And it's essentially XML-RPC, and it's made to grok COM.
.
.>> Highly satisfactory.  Now all we need is a truly open COM
.>> implementation.
.
.>Maybe not - IMHO SOAP is a good step forward, since you will
.>now be able to just implement SOAP-aware Python objects instead
.>of mucking around with COM. You can still interoperate with
.>existing COM objects - hey, you could even declare them to be
.>"legacy" code :^)
.
.Yes, but you can only write COM objects on a COM-supporting platform.  I'm
.not aware of any freely available ones (although WINE might have
.something, its docs don't mention it).
.
.I'm helping a friend implement COM for his OS, so I'm a bit grumpy ;-).
.It's a cool system.

I just read through a huge bunch of literature regarding
the comparison of COM and CORBA.

CORBA still seems to be more mature. The only reason to use COM is,
if you want to interoperate with the Microsoftproduct world.

The big part of the microsoft COM platform is the MTS (microsoft transaction
server) if you want to do to distributed objects.

Why not stick with CORBA and SOAP, where needed? :)

Just my 0.02 Euro.

	Bernhard
--
Research Assistant, Geog Dept UM-Milwaukee, USA.  (www.uwm.edu/~bernhard)
Free Software Projects and Consulting 		         (intevation.net)