__init__ keyword param for sub-class?

Grant Edwards grant at nowhere.
Thu Dec 23 16:09:10 EST 1999

Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:

>the only way to resolve it is to use the same search pattern as normal
>method lookup in C.__bases__.  But it's not clear that its a good
>idea.

I guess it depends on how often multiple inheritence is used. I
come from a single-inheritence background (Smalltalk and
Modula-3), and haven't looked at enough Python code to have a
feel for that question. Worst case is you have to explicitly
specify the super-class if you want to guarantee which one of
multiple possiblities is chosen. Users of MI are then no worse
off than they are now -- and it would benefit the rest of us
that do things the "right" way. ;) [I'll admit, I can see that
MI could be useful.]

>  There's also an issue of introducing new keywords or some way to
>name the thing called "super" in my example.  I don't know of any
>languages that let you name it within; they all seem to use a
>keyword.  And introducing new keywords is *hard*;

Yup, adding a keyword to a language is going to break programs,
and pretending otherwise is delusional.  So, I don't see that
it would be a good idea unless it is part of a major change
that's going to break programs anyway.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I wish I was on a
                                  at               Cincinnati street corner