Before I go with python ...

Gordon McMillan gmcm at hypernet.com
Thu Dec 30 09:26:13 EST 1999

Alex Martelli wrote:
[asynch sockets on Windows]
> Maybe the "asyncore" could also work?  Haven't looked into it
> yet... async sockets would seem to be the 'mainstream' on Windows
> (i.e., with the Winsock library -- although you can ask it for
> blocking sockets too, the async variety feeds window messages
> into your main window message loop -- smoothest and most
> efficient for a program that is organized in the normal Windows
> way).

The Windows-message passing sockets stuff is a completely
separate beast. You can do it with the Win32 extensions, I
believe, but it requires a message loop (which a console app
doesn't have) and is (IMHO) a hangover from earlier
(completely braindead) implementations of WInsock. Normal
non-blocking sockets work fine on Windows, modulo a few of
the socket options (which aren't very portable anyway). You
may also find some surprises in when an error shows up, (eg,
where *nix would detect an error during the select, Windows
may return it as readable, and then error on the read).

- Gordon