trouble with python 1.5.2 install on win98

X CB XX at XX.COM
Wed Dec 1 12:14:36 EST 1999

Lee Fletcher <leef_me at my-deja.com> wrote in message
news:81elc8$8i2$1 at nnrp1.deja.com...
> Hoping for some guidance to my problem w/Python,
>
> I have installed py152.exe on (2) Win98 machines:
> 1 at work, 1 at home
>
> The installation at home runs. I am having trouble running IDLE at
> work. It accesses the hard drive but never becomes a running program.

I have the same problem (NT4).  If you run idle.py in /tools/idle you'll
probably get an error
message similar to..

<<
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "idle.py", line 3, in ?
    PyShell.main()
  File "D:\Python\Tools\idle\PyShell.py", line 611, in main
    root = Tk()
  File "D:\Python\Lib\lib-tk\Tkinter.py", line 886, in __init__
    self.tk = _tkinter.create(screenName, baseName, className)
TclError: Can't find a usable init.tcl in the following directories:
    {} ./lib/tcl8.0 D:/Python/tcl8.0/library D:/Python/Tools/library

This probably means that Tcl wasn't installed properly.

I bet this probably means that Tcl wasn't installed properly.

The path is probably all wrong or incomplete.  Ironically, Until recently,
I've not had this problem.  Apparently some tcl based program stomped all
over my tcl install.

Any suggestions?, Comments? ... to help the enthusiastic neophyte...

XXXcraig at YYYscbi.ZZZcom

remove the xxxyyyzzz...to reply..