A Date With Tim Peters...

Raymond Sheffield rsheffield at trestigres.com
Thu Dec 2 23:54:28 EST 1999

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> Did you ever wonder what Tim Peters looks like?  Have you ever wanted
> proof that he's not a runaway AI project or a secret alias for the
> Benevolent Dictator?
>
> Now's your chance.  Come to the Python Conference in Washington DC and
> meet Tim, Guido and the rest of the Python crowd for four days of
> intense Pythoneering.  Some program highlights:

May I suggest that any kind of date with Tim Peters ---- shudder
---- is, perhaps, the least appealing thing about python? We
appreciate Peters as a non-real thing . . . but to see him, the
creature, in real life might be a little more off-putting than most
can endure. I recommend a cage, a whip, and a stun-gun.

Washington DC is no doubt a lovely place, museums and all and a
50-year-old pre-pubescent president residing there, God love us, but
who's to say it won't turn into another Seattle with the real Peters
afoot? I think of Godzilla and Peters in the same sentence. I
envision "The Thing From Another Planet" on the loose on terra firma
in a hospitable climate . . .

. .  .and I'd like a few more assurances as an inducement, thank
you.