some random reflections of a "Python newbie": (1) books, and free sites

Patrick Phalen python-list at teleo.net
Thu Dec 9 19:31:55 EST 1999

[Preston Landers, on Thu, 09 Dec 1999]

:: ... I would
:: have recommended this book more whole-heartedly if it had doubled the
:: size by including extensive examples.  Which leads me to...
::
:: In my opinion, what the Python community *really* needs is an
:: equivilent to O'Reilly's "Perl Cookbook."  A really solid, well written
:: book like this would probably sell like hotcakes within the community
:: and also prompt new developers to give the language a try.
::
:: Something like "Mastering Algorithms in Python" would be cool too, but
:: it's not really neccesary.  If you can grok the Perl algorithm book,
:: you should have little problem translating.  Assuming you can read Perl
:: syntax, that is.  However, basic literacy in Perl is not such a bad
:: thing.

I just received my copy of Martin C. Brown's _Python Annotated
Archives_. This has 700+ pages of example scripts with detailed
annotation. Very useful for those who prefer to learn by example.
(Brown is also the author of _Perl: The Complete Reference_ and _Perl
Annotated Archives_.)

_The Quick Python Book_  is worth the price, now that I see it in the
printed and bound form.

BTW, I notice that my Python bookshelf now comprises 10 volumes,
measuring 11 inches in total width. Who says there are no Python
books?  :-)