need help getting tk to work with python

Gary Bankston garyseven at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 27 19:07:56 EST 1999

I had python and tcl working about 6 months ago but haven't used it in a

while. I recently tried to pick up where I left off and downloaded the
latest python for windows (py152.exe) and installed it. I let it install

tcl-tk as well.

For some reason tcl (or more precisely tkinter) does not work now. when
I attempt to run hello1.py from the introduction to Tkinter I get the
following:

#-----------------------------------------------------------
>hello1.py
Traceback (innermost last):
  File
"D:\PROGRA~1\Python\Doc\Tkinter\Library\Tk-intro\INTROD~1\hello1.py",
line 13, in ?
    root = Tk()
  File "D:\Program Files\Python\Lib\lib-tk\Tkinter.py", line 886, in
__init__
    self.tk = _tkinter.create(screenName, baseName, className)
TclError: Can't find a usable init.tcl in the following directories:
    {} ./lib/tcl8.0 {D:/Program
Files/Python/Doc/Tkinter/Library/tcl8.0/library}
 {D:/Program Files/Python/Doc/Tkinter/Library/Tk-intro/library}

This probably means that Tcl wasn't installed properly.
#-----------------------------------------------------------

I have no idea what the problem could be here. Any help anyone can
provide
will really be appreciated.

Here is some additional information.
python is installed at d:\Program Files\Python
tcl is installed at d:\Program Files\Tcl
The widget tour included with tcl works fine.
I'm running Windows NT v4.0 w/ service pack 5

--
  __^__
/_______\  glary