how to get methods from COM objects

Jeffrey Kunce kuncej at mail.conservation.state.mo.us
Thu Dec 2 11:34:07 EST 1999

>Can anybody tell me how to extract methods from a COM object.
>For instance i=B4d like to know what methods internet explorer exposes,
>so i can direct IE from within python.

As Bernhard said, pythonwin has built-in tools (COM browser and makepy) to see
what COM servers and methods are available on your system.

However, to get more detailed information about the COM objects and methods,
you have to get documentation from whoever produced the particular COM server.
It is usually on the net, but not always easy to find. The internet really needs
a "COM Documentation Clearinghouse"!

Here are some starting points for documentation on MSIE COM:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/browser/webbrowser/reference/ifaces/IWebBrowser2/IWebBrowser2.asp#IWebBrowser2
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/objects.asp#om40_objects
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/browser/mshtml/reference/ifaces/Document2/document2.asp

For an  example of controlling IE with Python and COM, see:
    msiecom.py
at
    http://starship.python.net/crew/jjkunce/

  --Jeff