Very useful message -- Hah!

Jesse D. Sightler jsight at mindspring.com
Sun Dec 5 23:26:46 EST 1999

Dan Grassi wrote:

> in article 87bt85dlxz.fsf at freddy.page.street, David N. Welton at
> davidw at prosa.it wrote on 12/5/99 6:09 PM:
>
> > Python is extensible to make it do whatever you want.  As is any good
> > language.
>
> >It sucks to build a language that is built around one and
> > only one thing, IMO.
>
> If you that is a reference to php I only have one comment: It works well and
> python doesn't.
>
> > Ummm, CGI's are definitely not mod_php.  CGI is an interface between
> > the server and seperate processes.  Mod_php is a module compiled (or
> > loaded, if you have DSO support) into Apache, which gives you a lot of
> > advantages.
>
> Look, I'm really getting tired of the symantics!  I don't care if it is cgi
> or whatever, I want the _results_, he _capabilities_.

This is NOT a symantic difference!  Running code as CGI is vastly
different from running code underneath an Apache-Integrated Web
Application Server.  CGI will always be more difficult to debug.  If you
wish a better way, you should use an application server environment that
supports Zope, or Microsoft ASP, or roll-your-own
CGI-wrapper/miniAppServer.

That IS the Python community's answer to PHP (and others) right now, it
simply takes time for IHPs to catch on.

None of this has anything to do with Python or Python limitations
whatsoever.

PS - The real problem is that PHP doesn't support the embedding of
alternative languages within its page-compilation technology.  Why don't
you whine to them about that?  :-)

--
Jesse D. Sightler

"Do not use a hatchet to remove a fly from your friend's forehead."
      - Chinese Proverb