building string for __import__()

Agent Drek drek at MonsterByMistake.Com
Mon Dec 13 16:11:37 EST 1999

I have searched deja, python.org/* and cannot find an answer
to my problem. I'm sure I'm just missing something very simple...

I have three directory attributes:

dirdata = {
    'somewhere':   '0',
    'foo':         '1',
    'flub':        '2'
}

FILE = "/mnt/somewhere" + dirdata['somewhere'] + \
       "/foo" + dirdata['foo'] \
       "/flub" + dirdata['flub'] \
       "/TARGET"

RMDATA = __import__(FILE)

will get me the error:

ImportError: No module named /mnt/somewhere0/foo1/flub2/TARGET

however when I do this from the cmdline:

>>> RMDATA = __import__("/mnt/somewhere0/foo1/flub2/TARGET")

everything works.

The file is called TARGET.py

I think that I don't understand how to build up a proper string to pass on to
__import__()

thanks for any help.

cheers,

	=derek

Monster By Mistake Inc > 'digital plumber'
http://www.interlog.com/~drek