A Date With Tim Peters...

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan at callware.com
Thu Dec 2 08:52:04 EST 1999

Hi All--

Well, since this question seems about to come to fisticuffs, I suggest
everyone look at this little masterpiece:

	http://www.douglasadams.com/dna/pedants.html

<imaginary-zeroes-are-as-good-as-any-other-kind-of-nothingness>-ly y'rs,
Ivan

Robin Becker wrote:

> In article <tYq14.171$E3.10941 at newsfeed.avtel.net>, Phil Mayes
> <nospam at bitbucket.com> writes
> >David N. Welton wrote in message <87puwpg7kp.fsf at freddy.page.street>...

> >>Doesn't the new millenium actually start in 2001?
> >

> >Only for FORTRAN programmers.  Python and C programmers, being zero-based,
> >get to celebrate a year earlier.
> >--
> >Phil Mayes    pmayes AT olivebr DOT com -- make that ZeroLiveBr.com
> >

> Doesn't matter about the base; to celebrate 2000 years you have to have
> them. As there's no zero A.D. even C programmers will find it difficult
> to dig up the extra year.  Year 2000 bi-milleniallists should celebrate
> the start of the 2000'th year next January; then they can celebrate the
> beginning of the new millenium in 2001. Mere digit preferentialists can
> do as they please, personally I'm going to try and wait for 2222.
>
> Presumably programmers will have another field day in the years running
> up to 9999. They can mumble on about all the flag dates and also the
> Y10k problem at the same time.
> --
> Robin Becker
>
> --

Ivan Van Laningham
Callware Technologies, Inc.
ivanlan at callware.com
ivanlan at home.com
http://www.pauahtun.org
See also:
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70
Author:  Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours