Very useful message -- Hah!

Dan Grassi Dan at Grassi.com
Sun Dec 5 15:48:37 EST 1999

in article 87u2lxuooi.fsf at freddy.page.street, David N. Welton at
davidw at prosa.it wrote on 12/5/99 3:18 PM:

>> PHP3
>
> Eeewwww.
>
> Why ever would you saddle yourself with a language that you can only
> use on the web?

True, but the reason is because it works very well on the web!  That os my
whole point.  python is a great language but is not web-savy.

>It's pretty new compared to python, as well.

Well, if it is rather new that makes it even more interesting because it is
used on over 1,000,000 sites! (http://www.php.net/usage.php3)  Perhaps
because it is easy to use on the web.  I think that's my point! :-)

> And - are you really talking about using php for cgi's?

Yes, it can do the same things on the web that python can.  Database access
better than python, easy installation and integration with MySQL and Apache
and a mod_php that really provides additional functionality, even allows php
access to authentication info.

>That kind of sucks compared to compiling it into the web browser...

Huh?

Dan