Py2K wishes

Malcolm Tredinnick malcolmt at smart.net.au
Mon Dec 27 07:55:13 EST 1999

On Mon, Dec 27, 1999 at 07:28:34AM -0500, Paul Prescod wrote:
> I would love it if one of my Python nits was corrected in Python 2
> whenever that comes about. Consider the keywords "def" and "class"
>
> "class": noun, taken from Marxist literature, as in "class war" and
> "history class"
>
> "def": adjective, taken from urban slang as in "def comedy jam"
>
> Kidding aside, "class" is a noun and "def" is an abbreviation for a
> verb. Furthermore, "def" is way too generic. Python has class
> definitions and function definitions. The keywords should be
> "func"/"function" and "class".
>
> -----
>
> The syntax for selecting base classes is un-Pythonic in the sense that
> it is not clearly obvious what is going on. Java's "extends" keyword is
> more Pythonic (if only the rest of Java was!).

Any changes of either of these pieces of syntax at this point would break
almost any script in existence. The only way to accomodate them would be to
introduce redundant keywords, which would be ... well ... just evil (or
perl -- I always get those two muddled up). :-)

To console yourself, just think, it could have been worse: Guido may have
chosen Dutch keywords. :-)

Cheers,
Malcolm Tredinnick

--