[OT] OpenSource Python Books?

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan at callware.com
Thu Dec 30 17:12:34 EST 1999

Hi All--

"Fred L. Drake, Jr." wrote:

[snip]

>  > there, too), higher math with Python, Astronomy with Python, Python &
>  > Com, and on and on and on. ...
>
>   I understand that calendrical calculations are big as well; is
> anyone planning to write a Python book on that topic?

I could easily be persuaded. ... Having just finished Teach Yourself
Python, I find myself with *oodles* of time on my hands (at least, that
is, according to my wife, who is convinced that software engineers sit
around in their cubes all day eating bonbons and playing mah jongg
solitaire. ...), and since it's a passion of mine it might be said that
I'd be the logical one.

>  > As Cameron already pointed out, this is not a good plan.  We already
>  > have as much of this as we want with Redhat's distros, etc.
>
>   I concur.  There are too many books with useless CD-ROMs already.
> The publishing process is slow enough that it's really hard to make
> this as useful as it used to be (slow downloads, lack of connectivity,
> etc., were *good* reasons to include the CD-ROM; the little CD-ROM
> icon on the cover is not).

This is one reason I resisted putting a CD in TYPython. ...

>  > <i'm-going-to-design-a-programming-language-for-curmudgeons-in-which-"foo"-and-"bar"-will-be-replaced-with-"hah!"-and-"balderdash!">-ly

(Note that the spelling of "curmudgeon" has been corrected.)

>  > y'rs,
>  > Ivan (and I'll have a lot of customers, too);-)
>
>   Add "humbug!" and you'll have another!

You got it;-)  Maybe I'll call it "snake-in-the-grass" ;-)

<from-one-aginner-to-another*>-ly y'rs,
Ivan

* As my mother used to say, "Whatever it is I'm agin it."
Ivan Van Laningham
Callware Technologies, Inc.
ivanlan at callware.com
ivanlan at home.com
http://www.pauahtun.org
See also:
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70
Author:  Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours