JPython Projects

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Fri Dec 31 14:41:55 EST 1999

Here are some interesting JPython projects for someone with a time on
their hands:

 1. Use the new GJC to compile JPython and CPython into the same binary.

 2. Set up a way of calling Python modules written for JPython (with
Java library dependencies) from CPython and Python modules with C
dependencies from JPython. Some things might work a little odd because
of the two interpreters but I think most things would work...but I'm
just guessing.

 3. Figure out how to cut one interpreter out of the loop. Get CPython
to be able to directly call Java stuff or JPython to directly call
C-coded modules. The former would probably be easier but the latter
would allow us to leverage more of the JVM and JIT work that is being
done.

I think that GJC is an important step in integrating the (thus far
incompatible) C and JVM worlds and Python is the natural glue language
for the new integrated environment.

 Paul Prescod