Python/cgi Was: Very useful message -- Hah!

Evan Gibson egibson at connect.com.au
Mon Dec 6 23:41:46 EST 1999

On Sun, Dec 05, 1999 at 03:55:13PM -0500, Dan Grassi wrote:
> There is a solution albeit rather nasty.  Fork python and add a few simple
> web-friendly features.  Is that the best solution?  Perhaps it is the only
> one considering everyone's adamant stand that "if python is hard to use
> python on the web that is the way things are, get used to it or go
> elsewhere."
> I just don't get it.  It seems that the concept should be to make python
> attractive to use, to build the user base.

The problem is that none of the rest of us seem to consider python's
behaviour weird or problematic.

The first time I did web scripting with python I got that message all the
time. It was due to missing the \n's in the headers (print "Content-type: text/plain\n\n")
or not flushing the buffers properly, all things that are in the FAQs, all things that other
people have mentioned here.

Once someone showed me where to find my error messages in the logs (I'd
never done cgi before at all) it was simple and the python error messages
were much nicer than the perl ones I kept seeing in there from the other
people using the box.

Since the error message you were getting was an apache error and you _knew_
that, your vilification of python is quite misplaced.

But, anyway, I've moved to Zope now so don't have to do much normal cgi
anymore. You should try and find the old Bobo docs. If you don't need all
of Zope then just use it's template stuff and go back to it's roots.

--
  Evan ~ThunderFoot~ Gibson    ~ nihil mutatem, omni deletum ~
      May the machines watch over you with loving grace.