C++ (was RE: Python suitability)

skaller skaller at maxtal.com.au
Wed Dec 15 18:55:37 EST 1999

Alex Martelli wrote:
> I'd rather program in Python -- but if the tasks I'm doing
> are not suited for Python (e.g., developing components
> which need to run EXTREMELY fast), then C++ is what
> I'm happiest with.

Hopefully, Viperc (the viper python compiler) will allow you
develop in Python, and still get code that runs
reasonably fast (probably, not 'extremely', but it
depends on the application).

I.e. the idea is that Python is a good language,
and performance need not be such a barrier to developing
applications as it is now. (where you have to resort
to plain old C to write extension modules to get
speed in critical areas)

John Skaller, mailto:skaller at maxtal.com.au
10/1 Toxteth Rd Glebe NSW 2037 Australia
homepage: http://www.maxtal.com.au/~skaller
voice: 61-2-9660-0850