Python Considered Harmful

Al Christians achrist at easystreet.com
Mon Dec 27 16:14:39 EST 1999

Eric Lee Green wrote:

> a bit of a troll ...

Python works great for me about 90% of the time.  The other 10%,
usually when working on larger programs, I have problems similar
to what you describe.  These problems are usually symptoms of
coding before thinking, which is easy in Python, or of coding
after thinking not too good, which, somewhat surprisingly,
happens in any language.  These problem programs are characterized
by classes that are under-designed with grievously sordid interfaces.

When I realize that I've made a mess and have to start over on
these 10% of projects, I will implement the new version in a different
language, not Python. It might be that some other languages are better
suited to certain problems, that other languages somehow prompt me to
think more clearly where I've previously come up short, or that it is
just easier to blame a language and not myself.  I can always find
another language, but I've never found another self.  Meanwhile, the
90% (YMMV +/- 2.5%) success rate of cybermaniacal clueless coding in
Python is very nice.

Al