[OT] OpenSource Python Books?

Boudewijn Rempt boud at rempt.xs4all.nl
Fri Dec 31 09:36:20 EST 1999

Andrew M. Kuchling <akuchlin at mems-exchange.org> wrote:

> Book topics... hmmm.  A good JPython book would be great, and would
> probably increase JPython's visibility in the Java community a lot; a
> book about Numeric Python would probably have the same effect in the
> Fortran community.  I suspect there's room for several Tkinter books
> beyond the two upcoming ones, and there's space for GTk and Qt books,
> too.

Well, I'd love to write the last one... I guess the problem is in
convincing publishers to publish it - I approached one, but I guess I
didn't go about it the right way, since I didn't get a reply. Now's about
the time to start writing, since it will then probably be out together
with KDE 2, but the contours are already clear enough to be able to
write and test code.

> It would also be nice if more books paid attention to the relevant
> Python modules; for example, the recent books about Qt and GTk+/GNOME
> have focused almost completely on C-level programming, with only
> passing mentions of Python bindings; a chapter or appendix on using
> PyKDE or PyGTK+ would probably be enough to encourage people to try
> them out.

Even an introductory appendix would be great. But while there's quite a
bit of Python activity in both areas, neither is quite visible. I think
PyKDE should be a part of the KDE libraries installation, obviously...

> And who's going to write "Python for Dummies"?

Not me ;-). While I have nothing against clearly written, well-structured
texts that deal with the basics of a certain topic, I detest any
inclination to invite people to think of themselves as dumb.

--

Boudewijn Rempt  | http://denden.conlang.org