Py2K wishes

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Tue Dec 28 04:05:46 EST 1999

William Tanksley wrote:

> I don't agree directly -- I find "class This(That):" to be quite clear.

In the same sense that "a or b" is clear? I.e. coming from another
language you could read it directly?

> In this case, minimal use of keywords is the focus.

Why? Python has a lot of "extra" keywords like "and", "or", "is" "not".

> >class Proxy:
> >       def __init__ ( self, fallback ):
> >               __fallback__=fallback
>
> >a = Proxy( someObject )
>
> >This would imply the following:
>
> >class SomeClass( someParentClass ): pass
> >assert SomeClass.__fallback__ == someParentClass
> >assert SomeClass().__fallback__ == SomeClass.__fallback__
>
> I don't have a clue what this is doing.  Sorry.

It's doing what Python has always done with instances and their classes
and base classes. Only now it is doing it based on a more explicit,
generalized, reusable mechanism.

 Paul Prescod