Anyone else making music with python?

Paul Winkler slinkp at angelfire.com
Wed Dec 22 13:17:15 EST 1999

Hi,

Am I the only one crazy enough to make music directly in python
scripts? i.e. not with an application but by programming the
composition...

I've been working on a module to help me do exactly that. I  use the
module to generate csound scores and do nice things like keep track
of tempo changes for me. I'm discovering lots of interesting
problems along the way and actually managing to make a little music.
Eventually I hope to abstract the data away from csound scores so it
could output various types of musical data (midi, csound, cmix,
whatever). No need to define a new file format for saving this
abstract data-- pickle will do nicely!

I would very much like to hear opinions, advice, improvements,
bugfixes, etc. Especially there are some big problems in the TODO
list I need to solve soon.  So far it is procedural in style but I'm
beginning to see how an OO design might hellp.

The module is called pysco, and currently lives at:
http://www.ulster.net/~abigoo/pw_linux/code.html#pysco

Current version is pysco 0.0.2.

--
slinkP arts:   music, sound, illustration, design, etc.