Very useful message -- Hah!

D'Arcy J.M. Cain darcy at vex.net
Sun Dec 5 08:08:51 EST 1999

Dan Grassi <Dan at grassi.com> wrote:
> It seems that by design python, by design, is not to be used as a cgi
> scripting language -- otherwise why would it produce this very meaningful
> message at the slightest syntax error:

> Internal Server Error

Interesting viewpoint.  I wrap all my CGIs in try/except clauses so that
I can see the syntax error in the browser and I am considering removing
them all except where I use them to trap user entry error.  As it turns
out, every time I have to debug a page it is easier to comment out the
try/except and tail -f the error log.  In particular, it is generally
not helpful for tracebacks and such to appear on users' screens.  Using
the default action allows me to have them try whatever they are doing
and look at the results without needing it it read by them or mailed.

> Personally I've about had it, at least PHP provides reasonable error
> messages.

I wouldn't know.  I won't use something that changes so incompatibly
between versions as PHP did between 2 and 3.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy at vex.net>           |  Democracy is three wolves
http://www.vex.net/                        |  and a sheep voting on