Newbie Tkinter Problem

Randall Hopper aa8vb at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 29 12:54:21 EST 1999

Colleen & Brian Smith:
 |In the script below, when I hard-code the file name, the button works fine.
 |However, when I use the askopenfilename dialog, something is preventing the
 |button from working normally. If somebody could
 |point out where I'm going wrong, I'd sure appreciate it.
 | I guess I wasn't clear. The dialog executes, the image loads and then the
 |"QUIT" button does not work. Something in the way I'm calling the dialog
 |allows it to retain control of the event-loop even after the  dialog is
 |closed.

You might have gotten more responses had you posted the source as a MIME
attachment that folks could directly save to a file and run.  I had to clip
the source out of your message, re-indent it, and comment out lines to
libraries I didn't have:

          #from viewer import UI
                #self.pic = Image.open(self.picname)
                #self.pic.thumbnail((128, 128))
                #self.display = UI(self,self.pic)
                #self.display.pack(side=RIGHT)

Having done this, if I select a JPEG file, hit Open, the QUIT button works
just fine.

Randall